The People tool allows you to manage your organization's roster with ease. Segment people into groups based on their responsibilities and interests. If you do not see this tool along your portal's toolbar, click here to learn how to enable it.
The People tool provides a scrollable list of your portal members. Use the Sort tool at the top of the list to sort by first name, last name, or login date. As an administrator, you're provided three items on the right side of this page.
- Invite People: Invite users to join your portal. Enter email addresses, add a custom message, and send. Pending invitations can be viewed on the right side of this page. Note: you can only resend an invitation once every three days.
- Export Portal Roster (xlsx): Download your portal’s roster as an excel spreadsheet. This report includes each user’s basic profile, associated groups, and more.
- Join Requests: All join requests filter into this section if your portal has Request to Join enabled. Each entry will include the user’s message with the option to approve or deny the request.
Click on a user's name to view more information about that user. If you're scrolling this list as a non-administrator, you'll only see the user's basic information like their contact info or their ePortfolio. As an administrator, you have an extra set of tools that allows you to manipulate the user's role within your portal.
- Enter a title: Located under the user’s name is the ability to customize their title. This is most commonly used to display the user’s role.
- Manage: Under the user's last login date is their groups. There may be several groups listed here or none at all. Click the Manage button to view the Groups pop-up. Click on a group to add the user to that group and re-click a group with a checkmark next to it to remove the user from that group.
- Remove From Portal: This option is located on the right side of the page and it allows you to remove users from your portal.
- Permissions tab: This tab can be found under a user's name and title. Click the checkbox next to a tool to give the user administrative access over that tool. If the checkbox is greyed out it means the user already has administrative access for that tool based on the groups they belong to.
Pro-tip: Actions can be performed on multiple users at one time if you select a user, hold down shift on your keyboard, then select a new user. Everyone in between will be selected. If you would like to choose more than one person and not everyone in between, select a user, hold down control (or command) on your keyboard, then select a new user.
One of the most important functions is the ability to establish Groups within your portal. Adding users to groups allows you to customize their permission settings and effectively target communications. Begin by selecting All People in the top left of the People tool. This provides a dropdown that contains the existing groups in your portal. Select a group to view a few administrative options.
- Set the group name & description: Click the pencil icon to edit the group’s name and description.
- Send Message to Group: Channel communication to members of the selected group.
- Add Person to Group: Select users to add into the group.
- Export Group Roster (xlsx): Export the group's roster into an excel document.
- Private Group: Click this checkbox to hide the group from users that are not administrators or members of the group.
- Officers Group: Click this checkbox to denote your organization's officers. These users may receive messages from your campus admins and can be displayed on your portal's public website if you use the Officers module.
To create a new group, click All People in the top left of the people tool to initiate the groups dropdown. Click Create a Group, type in the group's name and hit enter on your keyboard. Next, it's important to establish the permission settings for the new group. Click here to learn more about setting group permissions.